Slurries & Mud Applications
Mud and slurries containing hard solids not greater than 3 mm (1/8”) are frequently best pumped by a positive displacement (PD) pumps. In fact, the Hydraulic Institute list 12 Advantages of Positive displacement pumps why this is the case.
Typical applications include:
- Bentonite slurry walls
- Drilling fluids
- Slurries for Ceramics
- Epoxy, glue, paste and adhesives.
Here is a quick review of the reasons why knowledgeable users invest in our pumps for slurries and mud :
- Can provide a constant flow at pressures up to 150 PSI or constant pressure at different flow rates.
- Low fluid shear
- Can pump a mixture of air and fluid successfully.
- Are generally much more energy efficient than centrifugal pumps because of the low amount of slip.
- Superior for pumping sludge, mud and thick fluids.
- Can handle abrasives well because of slow speed and because lobes do not touch after a short break in period.
- Can run dry for a period of time because seals are oil cooled and lobes do not touch
- Flow is near pulseless because of the helix lobe design.
- Can self prime up to 25 ft depending on the fluid. Slurries and Mud frequently clog auto priming mechanism.
Generally speaking if you need one or more of the above advantages in your application we recommend discussing your application with our engineers.
Click here for a free quote!